[Mailman-Users] Why are footers sent as attachments?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jan 30 11:46:56 CET 2006

At 5:41 PM +0900 2006-01-30, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>      Brad> 	You can't write your own HTML there, so no "click
>      Brad> here" type language is going to work.
>
>  Strictly speaking, this depends on the MUA, too.

	True.

>                                                    In the message I'm
>  replying to Gnus added no less than 16 clickable items, including
>  everything in the footer (every line except the title "Mailman-Users
>  mailing list").

	It is not unusual for MUAs to convert many of the List-* headers
into clickable links.  IMO, that's pretty cool.

>                   It's a shame that major vendors concentrated on a
>  misfeature that allows you to write

>  www.tulips.org</a> has the best selection of garden photos!
>
>  in email, instead of teaching their products to snarf URLs out of
>  text/plain.

	The ironic thing is that you're saying this to me, and that
Eudora (my MUA) only made the URL clickable -- i.e., it did exactly
what you are saying that vendors don't do with their MUAs.  ;)

	Of course, I have all the HTML features of Eudora turned off, and
I neither send nor receive messages that are HTML formatted.  I still
can't figure out a way to get it to stop converting HTML formatting
into a rich text format which is more difficult to quote and edit,
but at least it does give me methods of flattening rich text into
ASCII, which can then be cut and re-pasted in a quotation format.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755