[Mailman-Users] Newbie question regarding multiple domains with oneMailman installation

Daniel Spreadbury dspreadbury at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:25:41 CET 2006

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your very helpful reply! I think I'm getting somewhere,
though I've hit another brick wall.

> virtual
>
> will return some relevant information including FAQs 4.29. 4.47 and
> 4.62.

Thanks -- I tried searching for "virtual domains", which didn't find
the same FAQs.

> Mailman version? :-)

2.1.7, though I'm guessing from the smiley that this doesn't much matter!

> Either put the Mailman specific alias and scriptalias, etc stuff in
> each virtual host section in the web server config, or put it
> somewhere where it will apply to all hosts.
>
> Put directives like:
>
> add_virtualhost('dom.ain', 'dom.ain')
> add_virtualhost('another.domain','another.domain')
>
> in mm_cfg.py. This assumes you will access the web pages via
> http://dom.ain/..., as well as emailing mailing-list-alpha at dom.ain,
> i.e., that the web domain and the email domain are the same for the
> hosts.

Okay, I've got all this.  Two problems remain:

1. If I go to http://dom.ain.com/mailman/, I get a "you don't have
permission to view /mailman/" error. If I go to
http://dom.ain.com/mailman/admin, for example, I get the mailman
interface as I'd expect. Is there something I can do to get /mailman
to give me something sensible, or is that not how it's supposed to
work? My Apache config does a standard script alias thing:

ScriptAlias /mailman "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"

I'm guessing I've missed something simple here.

2. This is a thornier issue, and I've spent most of the day today
trying to sort it out. My MTA is exim-4.22-1, installed via the
FreeBSD ports collection. As far as I can tell, it was installed with
the default user of mailnull and group of mail. As such, when I built
mailman from /usr/ports/mail/mailman, I used this command line:

make MAIL_GID="mail" install

as specified in /usr/local/share/doc/mailman/FreeBSD-post-install-notes

I also made sure that the aliases at the top of the Exim config file
(which I've placed just below the MAIN CONFIGURATION SETTINGS part of
the configure file) say:

MAILMAN_USER=mailnull
MAILMAN_GROUP=mail

I've also set up aliases in my domain-specific alias files for mail
delivery (I'm using Cyrus on top of Exim for IMAP), of the form:

members-list "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post members-list"
members-list-admin "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin members-list"

and so on.

When I do e.g. "exim -bt members-list-owner at dom.ain.com" I get the
expected result.

However, when I actually send mail to any of these addresses, I see
this in my main Exim log:

2006-01-30 18:09:06 1F3dSa-0001XG-RO ** members-list at dom.ain.com
<members-list-owner at dom.ain.com> R=mailman_router T=mailman_transport:
Child process of mailman_transport transport returned 2 from command:
/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman

This results in the mail being bounced back to me as undeliverable,
and nothing getting through to the mailing list.

The FreeBSD post-install notes list this problem specifically as
occurring if Mailman isn't installed with the right MAIL_GID set at
make, but I'm pretty sure I've set this correctly (see above). The
only other solution I've seen suggested is to use check_perms -f to
fix up permissions. I've done this, and no problems are found.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help!

Daniel