[Mailman-Users] New Install

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jul 2 02:55:36 CEST 2006

Troy Buffum wrote:

>    I'm new to the group, and this is my first post.  In trying to determine
>wheather or not I can install Mailman on my hosting service, I've been
>speaking with their tech support.  One thing they told me was, "Anything
>that requires SSH to performa an install, will not be supported."
>    I'm not really sure what SSH means.

ssh is "secure shell". It is a simple "secure" alternative to telnet.
Both are ways to remotely log in and access a command shell on the
host server.

I am assuming that by telling you that you can't have ssh access, they
are really saying you can't have any kind of shell access at all, be
it ssh, telnet, Kerberos, SSL or whatever. Since this is only a part
of what is required to install Mailman - one needs not only shell
access, but the ability to create a user and group, configure a web
server and configure an MTA - I seriously doubt that this host will
support your doing it.

>I'm new to web hosting, and using
>servers.  But, a previous provider I had, used Mailman, which was already
>installed for each of their users.  So, I'm looking to use it again.  If
>someone can help with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>   Thanks, Troy
>PS:    The service I'm using is Webmasters.com, at www.webmasters.com.

I doubt you are going to be able to have Mailman on this host. I
suggest you look for a separate Mailman hosting service for your lists
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.017.htp>
or a hosting service like your former service that offers both web
hosting and Mailman lists.