[Mailman-Users] mailman minimal (memory) requirements?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Jul 3 08:38:21 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:

(...)

> To elaborate a bit, as Brad says, you need to have a web server and MTA
> running. Other than that, there is no constant, even when idle, memory
> usage by Mailman to support the web interface or incoming mail.
> Incoming mail causes the MTA to invoke the mail wrapper which receives
> the mail and passes it to a python process which stores it it the
> appropriate queue and exits. Likewise, a web request causes the web
> server to invoke a CGI wrapper which passes the request to a python
> process which produces the output page and exits.
>
> The heavy, continuous memory usage is in the queue runners. You may not
> need to run NewsRunner at all. You can eliminate it by adding
>
> QRUNNERS.remove(('NewsRunner',1))
>
> to mm_cfg.py. The other 7 runners are required at least occasionally so
> you can't just remove them. With a moderate amount of hacking, you
> could probably revert to the old method of qrunners being started at
> intervals by cron and exiting when they have nothing to do. If you
> staggered the schedule, you might be able to achieve a situation where
> only one or two runners were ever running at the same time. Also, some
> runners like BounceRunner and RetryRunner could be run significantly
> less frequently than others.
>
> The downside to this is there is a lot of repeated work in starting the
> runners, but if you have sufficient cpu and disk i/o capacity, this
> might be a viable way to cut down on memory utilization.

Hmm, so I guess my plan of running mailman on a tiny mipsel-based router
will not succeed :(

Right now, with a mail and web servers it uses about 12 MB RAM, I just
had hope ~20 MB RAM would be far enough for mailman.

But it seems that without a fair amount of hacking, it won't be possible
(or even it won't be possible at all).

Anyone knows some lighter list archivers (if I just want to display
messages from a mailing list via a web interface, sorted by months,
years etc.)?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org