[Mailman-Users] accepting posts based on a header-field

IEM - network operating center noc at iem.at
Wed Jul 5 12:30:14 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> so my second thought was to auto-accept postings to the "users" list
>> which has a special header-field (i thought that the "List-ID"-field
>> would just be ok for my purposes).
>> unfortunately i found that this wasn't possible (i am running debian and
>> tried both 2.1.5-8sarge2 (which is basically 2.1.5 with some
>> cross-site-scripting security issues fixed) and 2.1.8)
>

> You could do this with a custom handler which is not a patch in that
> once it is implemented and installed, it survives upgrades. See
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>

yes true, i thought of that.
but then i didn't want to spend to much time in learning how to do such
a handler in a "clean" way. it is quite important to me that code and
configuration are kept separately.
i guess this is possible (but i haven't dived too deep into this)
as far as i could overlook the custom handler thing, it also means that
i would have to add such handler for each mailing list (e.g. copy the
code snippet to each list i would want to enable my feature). so it was
all too much of a hazzle...

anyhow, i have set up a small HOW-TO about my solution (using
exim&procmail) at http://iem.at/Members/zmoelnig/mailmanprocmail

feel free, if you want to put it into a more "official" place.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes