[Mailman-Users] Postfix + Mailman with GID errors - fixed!

Ivan Aedler ivanrolim at bol.com.br
Thu Jul 6 02:58:16 CEST 2006

>Has anyone set up mailman and Postfix on their RedHat box??
>I am getting the dreaded GID error,

>Mar 11 11:21:01 cascade postfix/local[8621]: A84803EF5:
>to=<test at cascade.off.ournet.com.au>, relay=local, delay=1,
status=bounced
>(Command died with status 2: "/var/mailman/mail/wrapper post test". Command
>output: Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 12, GOT gid 99.  (Reconfigure to
>take 99?)

>And have read the mailman help file as to the fix, It suggests rebuilding
>mailman with;

>./configure --with-mail-gid=thegid

>thegid = the result of running;
>% python -c'import os; print os.getgid()
>as the mailman user (which if I do this, I get thegid=41

>(Which I am suspect about as 12 or 99 != 41)

>If I am installing from a Redhat RPM, I cannot do this...  I have altered
>the postfix option of:

>default_privs = mail

>(which is the gid of 12) and this allows me to use mailman, but it may have
>some effect on postfix and privs??

>Can anyone enlighten me to if this is ok, or if I need to un-install the
>RPM and install mailman from source and configure with my options.

Thanks
Brian
Hi Brian, I had also this problem on SUSE (wanted GID 67, GOT 65533), where
65533 was NOBODY user (very strange , no?), but I just edited
/etc/postfix/main.cf and included:

default_privs: mailman

Man, this DESTROYED the ?dread GID? mith :) All is working perfectly! This
is because POSTFIX sometimes messes with GIDs (God knows why!!), thats
because DEFAULT values for GID are created in other areas of the system (I
tried to UNINSTALL, reboot and then REINSTALL postfix again TO NO AVAIL) :(

I?m just putting this add on because there was NO responses from other
forums (I discovered this BY MYSELF), so now people can search for ?GID
errors SUSE?, for example, and try other names, not just mail and mailman.
Thanks , thanks really :) We dont need to reinvent the well :).