[Mailman-Users] Blocking entire domains

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jul 8 21:05:53 CEST 2006

Martin Dennett (Gmail) wrote:

>Would that also be applicable to, for example, addresses after the @
>where more than one option exists? I'm thinking of "ms*.hinet.net" -
>I've got a lot of banned members where the "*" is a number, and I don't
>fancy having to block ms1.hinet.net, ms2.hinet.net, ms3.hinet.net etc.

You don't have quite the right syntax for regular expressions (they're
not wildcards). See <http://docs.python.org/lib/re-syntax.html>.

The above example can be coded as

^.*@.*\.hinet\.net

The start of the string (^) followed by any character (.) zero or more
times (*) followed by @ followed by zero or more of anything (.*)
followed by a literal . (\.) followed by hinet followed by a literal .
(\.) followed by net followed by anything. This would match
abcxyz at ms3.hinet.net, asdfg at qwe.hinet.net.ca and many others.

It could also be

^[^@]+ at ms[0-9]\.hinet\.net$

The start of the string followed by at at least one (+) non @ character
([^@]) followed by @ms followed by a digit ([0-9]) followed by
.hinet.net followed by the end of the string.

It could also be many other regexps depending on how tight or loose you
want to be.