[Mailman-Users] Spams directed to list owner.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jul 11 19:27:50 CEST 2006

Patrick Bogen wrote:

>I think Harold is asking why the spam was directed to
>pptc-announce-owner. From the headers (I may or may not be
>interpreting correctly), it looks like the message was directly
>addressed to pptc-announce-owner.

Yes. The spam was sent From: "Jeffrey Lyon" <JeffreyLyon at 09.com>
(probably spoofed) and To: pptc-announce-owner at bikelist.org and then
resent by Mailman to the actual owner/moderator addresses. This is
exactly what Mailman is supposed to do with mail sent to the -owner
address.

If the question is "why was spam sent to pptc-announce-owner" or "how
did spammers get the pptc-announce-owner address", the address is in a
mailto: link at the bottom of
<http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/pptc-announce>. There are
probably other ways that it can be found or guessed.