[Mailman-Users] email footers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jul 12 05:11:43 CEST 2006

Jim Popovitch wrote:

>I've been using demime for years to strip reduna nt email footers (Sent
>by..., Post: ..., Options: ..., etc.) in addition to stripping
>attachments.  I am now setting up a new server and plan to migrate
>existing lists to it.  In the past we have not used Mailman's content
>filtering mechanisms, but I plan to do so now (mm v2.1.8).   So.... a
>cursory look at this list seems to show that MM can strip existing
>footers off of email relies, is this true or does python.org use
>something else?

Mailman can strip footers if they are a separate MIME part with a
content-type that you don't want to accept for the list. If the
footers are simply appended to the body of the mail or if they are
added as a separate MIME part but with the same content-type (e.g.
text/plain) as the body you want to accept, then Mailman's content
filtering can't remove them without also removing the body unless they
are in a separate MIME part with a 'filename' with a reliable
extension that you can filter on, but this is not likely to be the
case.