[Mailman-Users] error messages in the archive

Daniel Carvalho dcarvalho at xsmail.com
Wed Jul 12 16:21:32 CEST 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:28:50 -0700, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net>
said:
> Daniel Carvalho wrote:
>
> >Our SMTP server has a limitation in the number of messages it can send
> >per hour, so it started to reject messages, and the Mailman server
> >interpreted then as bounces. Until now, everything normal.
> >
> >What seem strange is that some error messages appeared in the mailing
> >list archive page.
> >
> >These lines were taken from the "archive by date" page:
> >
> ># [CA-info] Status   The Post Office
> ># [CA-info] Returned mail: Data format error   Mail Delivery Subsystem
> ># [CA-info] Mail System Error - Returned Mail   Automatic Email Delivery
> >Software
> >
> >The archive is supposed to show the messages that were send to the list.
> >This means that all subscribers receibed these error message? Or mailman
> >get confused and put these message in the archive?
>

> It appears that there are two different issues. The messages in your
> archive are not the kind of bounce messages that you would see from an
> SMTP "number of messages" limitation, so what I think is happening is
> that some non-compliant MTA at the intended recipient's end is
> returning a bounce to the address in some header which happens to be
> the list posting address rather than returning the bounce to the
> envelope sender which is the list-bounces address.
>
> Then your list is accepting these messages and they are archived and
> sent to the list.

i forgot to say that "lista-info at meusite.pt" is the name of the mailing
list (i only changed the hostname to the fictious name, "meusite.pt")

The list is configured so that ONLY email addresses that end in
"@meusite.pt" can post. This means that a message whose sender is
"lista-info at meusite.pt" would be accepted...

I did that through the setting "List of non-member addresses whose
postings should be automatically accepted." with the value
"^.*@meusite.pt". I think i need to change that!

thanks, Mark