[Mailman-Users] Strange problem with password.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jul 13 03:19:43 CEST 2006

Fabiano Breves wrote:

>I think the problem migth started with an upgrade or update on the senders
>Outlook Express. Because the procedure worked for some time.

It might have, but I also note the thing that made the quoted-printable
encoded line long enough to require folding is the two font tags:

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>APPROVED: =
xxxxxxxx</FONT></FONT></DIV>

I.e. there is the presumably default <FONT face=Arial size=2> tag
followed by the size increase <FONT size=3> tag. Perhaps this time the
poster changed the font size for the APPROVED: line and this
precipitated the failure.

>If this is the case, isn't better to forget the 1st line method and use just
>the header one? Or maybe use the subject line to do the job ?

Yes, it is better to use a real header if you can, but some people just
can't conveniently do this so we allow the first body line and try to
remove it.

I don't like the Subject: idea. Granted it is a single place to look
and deal with approval, but it is after all a post and should have a
meaningful subject, and I don't like the idea of trying to parse
approval information out of the Subject: and remove just that and
leave the intended subject. I'm most concerned about trying to remove
some approval keyword with a potentially misspelled passord vs. not
munging a subject that just happens to begin with the keyword.

>Just an idea. Don't want to mess with your business.

I appreciate your input. Community input is always important in the
design and implementation of any feature. And the fact that I don't
like an idea, doesn't mean I can't be persuaded by additional
arguments.