[Mailman-Users] make install error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 14 03:22:57 CEST 2006

Ki Song wrote:

>> After doing ./configure, I tried to run make install, and here's the error
>> message I get:
>>
>> chmod: changing permissions of '/usr/local/mailman/archives/private':
>> Operation not permitted
>>
>> The only thing is, I'm logged in as a user that has read/write priveleges
>> for this folder.
>>
>looking at the ls -l of the private folder, I see the following:
>drwxrws--- 6 apache mailman 4096 Jul 12 13:10 private
>
>I'm assuming that apache is the Uid and mailman is the Gid
>
>The user that I am logged in as belogs to the mailman group.

'make install' is trying to do

  chmod o+x /usr/local/mailman/archives/private

What happens if you try this as the user that belongs to the mailman
group? If it succeeds, then you can probably complete the 'make
install', but then I wouldn't know why you could do it directly and
'make install' couldn't, and if it fails, I don't know why, but it
isn't a Mailman issue.