[Mailman-Users] how to disable "lists" display in email

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 14 22:07:36 CEST 2006

Catherine Maxwell wrote:

>Now through my testing of that issue I have come up with something
>else that is a puzzle.
>
>I have virtual hosting enabled and setup for 8 different domains in
>the mm_cfg.py. All lists are working well. For the sake of
>explanation, let's say there are four list hosting domains:
>domain1.com, domain2.com, domain3.com and domain4.com.
>
>If I send a "lists" request to mailman-request at domain1.com, I get the
>results for all advertised lists on domain1.com.
>
>If I send a "lists" request to mailman-request at domain2.com, I get the
>results for all advertised lists on domain1.com.
>
>If I send a "lists" request to mailman-request at domain3.com, I get the
>results for all advertised lists on domain1.com.
>
>If I send a "lists" request to mailman-request at domain4.com, I get the
>results for all advertised lists on domain1.com.
>
>My mm_cfg.py is set up as:
>
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, 'domain1.com')
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, 'domain1.com')
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, 'domain2.com')
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, 'domain2.com')
>and so on ...

There are a couple of issues.

First, your mm_cfg.py is all wrong.

If we assume that DEFAULT_URL_HOST is www.domain1.com and
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST is domain1.com and you have similar domain naming
for domain2, etc. and the DEFAULT_*_HOST settings form configure are
correct in Defaults.py, what you need in defaults.py is:

add_virtualhost('www.domain2.com', 'domain2.com')
add_virtualhost('www.domain3.com', 'domain3.com')
etc.

What you have above gives you a VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary with at most
two entries (assuming DEFAULT_URL_HOST  and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST are
different), both of which have values domainx.com where domainx is the
last one.

These entries are ultimately responsible for the values that get put in
the list attribute host_name and the (hidden from the GUI) attribute
web_page_url. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.062.htp>.

You are going to have to correct mm_cfg.py, restart Mailman and run
fix_url with the appropriate --urlhost option on each list in order to
fix them. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp>
and also run bin/fix_url.py for more information.

Now if VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW is on (the default), when you send a
'lists' command to listname-request at ..., the advertised lists you are
going to see are those whose host_name attribute matches the host_name
attribute of the list to which you sent the command regardless of the
domain in the email address you sent the command to.

So when you send the 'lists' command to mailman-request at domainx.com,
the lists you'll see are those whose host_name matches that of the
mailman list (domain1.com) regardless of which domainx.com you send it
to.