[Mailman-Users] Problem creating mailinglist

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jul 16 03:08:14 CEST 2006

Til Schubbe wrote:

>I created the mailing list 'test' by using the web interface. As a
>confirmation I get:
>
>| You have successfully created the mailing list test [...]
>
>But after that it provides 2 buggy links without a slash:
>                                          ^
>http://lists.royal-bonn.de/cgi-bin/mailmanadmin/test
>                                          ^
>
>Earlier I have added
>---->8----
>ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/
>Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
>---->8----
>to /etc/apache/httpd.conf.
>
>Why do the links omit the slash?

Bacause when you overrode DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN in mm_cfg.py with

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/cgi-bin/mailman'

you ommitted the trailing slash. It should be

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/cgi-bin/mailman/'

However, with the ScriptAlias that you have above, you don't want to
change DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN at all. You want it to be the default of

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

so your URLs will be like
http://lists.royal-bonn.de/mailman/listinfo/test

>My second problem: When I invoke
>http://lists.royal-bonn.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/test
>
>and subscribe my email-address, I get the confirmation request.
>Replying to it results in the following:
>
>| <test-request at lists.royal-bonn.de>: host
>| lists.royal-bonn.de[193.138.180.4]
>|     said: 550 <test-request at lists.royal-bonn.de>: Recipient address
>| rejected:
>|     User unknown in virtual mailbox table (in reply to RCPT TO
>| command)
>
>My /etc/postfix/main.cf contains this:
>owner_request_special = no
>recipient_delimiter = +
>virtual_mailbox_domains =
>  [...]
>  lists.royal-bonn.de
>virtual_alias_maps =
>  hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias_maps
>  hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>alias_maps =
>  hash:/etc/aliases
>  hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>alias_database =
>  hash:/etc/aliases
>  hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

The only place you want 'hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases' is in
alias_maps. See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>

>/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases contains:
>[...]
>test-request:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request test"
>[...]
>
>I invoked 'postalias /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases' and
>'postfix reload'.
>
>Why doesn't postfix accept a mail addressed to
>test-request at lists.royal-bonn.de?
>
>I read the specific parts of
>http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/
>but it didn't help me.

Well, it specifically says NOT to put the path to your mailman aliases
in your alias_database variable. Also, unless you are using Postfix
virtual domains, you dont want any Mailman stuff in virtual_maps either

If you are using Postfix virtual domains, the thing you want in
virtual_maps is the path to Mailman's 'virtual-mailman' file.