[Mailman-Users] Bug or

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jul 17 18:44:18 CEST 2006

Prasanta Baruah wrote:

>We have mailman installed in our machine and that has been working
>fine. Recently there was a post in our list regarding a certain topic
>and what seemed interesting to me is that the mail was dated 16th July
>18:34:39 hrs, on the daily digest while on the archives it appeared on
>the 17th July 00:04:39 hrs. I checked the server's system date also
>which is fine. Now the question is how come the same mail have two
>dates.

The time in the message header is in whatever time zone was put there
by the user or the user's MUA. The timezone in the archives is always
server local time, but both should actually be the same time. For
example the Date: header in your post to which I'm replying is

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:25:13 +0530

and the timestamp in the pipermail archive is

Mon Jul 17 11:55:13 CEST 2006

Since CEST is +0200, these are both the same time.

>Is it because of the timezone set by the user or there is some
>bug in mailman?

It's the user's timezone.

>I ran through this list archives and found out that
>there are archives for dates which are far in the future. Is this a
>bug or what?

Those are very old posts that had wildly out of range dates. This issue
is addressed in current Mailman via the settings
ARCHIVER_CLOBBER_DATE_POLICY and ARCHIVER_ALLOWABLE_SANE_DATE_SKEW.