[Mailman-Users] stange domain/url question

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jul 19 17:23:47 CEST 2006

Anne Ramey wrote:

>Not too long ago, we switched out domain from wwwadm.mydomain.com to
>lists.mydomain.com.  I used fix-url on all the lists, and when we create
>all lists now, we create then as
>./newlist listname at lists.mydomain.com

<snip>

>you can get info about using it by sending a message
>with just the word `help' as subject or in the body, to:
>
>    annes.test-request at wwwadm.mydomain.com

<snip>

>Please address all questions to mailman-admin at wwwadm.mydomain.com

This makes no sense. It shouldn't be -admin because that's a Mailman
2.0.x artifact, but the 'mailman' site list didn't appear until 2.1.

Assuming this is a typo and is really mailman at wwwadm.mydomain.com, I
proceed.

>Does anyone know why this is happening?  Or how I get this to change to
>lists.mydomain.com?  My users are pretty much computer novices and this
>will confuse them.

This is really the same issue as
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-July/052345.html>
which see.

If you only have the one domain, and it is DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and is the only entry in VIRTUAL_HOSTS, you
shouldn't need to specify a domain to newlist and everything should be
OK.

In your case, the domain in the mailman address comes directly from a
lookup of DEFAULT_URL_HOST in the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary. The domain
in the list-request address is the host_name attribute of the list (on
the General Settings page) which came from a lookup of
lists.mydomain.com (based on your newlist command) in VIRTUAL_HOSTS or
if not found, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.