[Mailman-Users] Question about topics

FH fhouston at usa.net
Thu Jul 20 22:17:17 CEST 2006

I'm trying to figure out how the topic feature works.  We have an expression
in the regexp box (ie Foo[1]) and the body lines variable is set to 0 since
the expression should be in the subject line.  However everyone on the list is
still receiving the messages sent w/ "Subject: Foo".  The filter is enabled,
the person who is subscribed to the topic also has "yes" on the "Do you want
to receive messages that do not match any topic filter?", everyone else (who
is not subscribed to the topic) has "no" for this.  BTW we are using mailman
2.1.5.

At first I thought it might be a problem w/ the regexp, but reading through
the archives I found
http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg34182.html
"Members who don't select topics continue to receive all posts. "
and the wording on the end of the "Do you want to receive..." question ("If no
topics of interest are selected above, then you will receive every message
sent to the mailing list.") is bringing up the question of whether or not the
list/membership is configured properly.  Do I have to change something on the
membership page of those who are NOT to receive the messages related to the
topic I'm trying to configure (it's the only one btw)?  If so what needs to
change and is there any way to configure the topic such that only those who
are interested have it configured and everyone else is left alone (it's a
relatively small list but it seems very cumbersome to change everyone if a
single topic is added to a large list).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  If there's more info that is needed
please let me know and I'll see if I can get it to you.

Thanks

[1] we've also tried
^foo
^*foo
\*foo
\*foo\*
and probably a few other derivations that I can't recall off hand ;)