[Mailman-Users] Question about topics

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 21 00:44:05 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>FH wrote:
>
>>... is there any way to configure the topic such that only those who
>>are interested have it configured and everyone else is left alone (it's a
>>relatively small list but it seems very cumbersome to change everyone if a
>>single topic is added to a large list).

I didn't address this directly in my first reply, but the answer is No.
No matter how topics are defined, any user who doesn't want to receive
all posts must be subscribed to at least one topic. The default user
receives all posts which is I think what most lists want.

What you are asking is not really for everyone else to be left alone.
You are asking for the ability to passively exclude users from
receiving certain messages by putting those messages in a topic. I
don't think this is fair to the users in general. I think it is up to
the user to actively choose not to receive all messages.

I realize your situation may be different, but instead of trying to set
up the users, you could just post instructions to the list and let
each user set herself up as she desires.