[Mailman-Users] held-messages and discard

Dave Stern dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Jul 26 18:12:03 CEST 2006

I have a several thousand files in $MM/data/held-msg-LISTNAME-XXX.pck
I presume these are spam or messages that have otherwise ended up
queued, perhaps waiting for admin approval. I want to delete them so I

> $MM/bin/discard $MM/data/heldmsg-somelist-4586.pck
Discarded held msg #4586 for list somelist

And often it works as indicated above. In some cases, I get a traceback

> $MM/bin/discard $MM/data/heldmsg-anotherlist-2466.pck
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/export/mailman/bin/discard", line 120, in ?
     main()
   File "/export/mailman/bin/discard", line 106, in main
     mlist = MailList(listname)
   File "/export/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 126, in __init__
     self.Lock()
   File "/export/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 163, in Lock
     self.Load()
   File "/export/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 580, in Load
     raise Errors.MMUnknownListError
Mailman.Errors.MMUnknownListError

I presume this is simply from a list that no longer exists.

So why do I have so many? Or to put it another way, is there some way I can
sanely determine which should be removed. As a first go round, I'm thinking
of just saying, anything providing traceback, delete and anything older
than one month delete as the admin is obviously ignoring the list.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

  David Stern                                    University of Maryland
            Institute for Advanced Computer Studies