[Mailman-Users] Contemplating new installation

Jon Loose jjloose at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 21:21:49 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm contemplating using mailman in a new system setup, and am hoping I could get a "heads up" warning about potential problems from the list before killing too much time on it.

I have installed mailman before, using postfix on a redhat (ClarkConnect) server.  It took a bit of fiddling with, but I got there in the end.

The new project is a fedora core based server, purchased on a subscription.  It runs qmail by default, and has plesk running to give some web-based admin.  Given the constraint that we need to keep Plesk running, I'd be most pleased to be able to run mailman on top of qmail.

Two points:

First off, I've read that there are some unique issues with qmail/mailman.  Does this make installation significantly harder than with a postfix system (it was as much as I could do to get the postfix/mailman system going - but I'm willing to persevere!)  What are the main issues?  Also, is Plesk likely to foul up the installation if it is used post the mailman install?

Second, my previous install of mailman was 2.1.x running under /usr/local/mailman.  I note that the fedora installation already seems to have mailman files distributed around the filesystem.  Is there a standard installation now as part of fedora, and am I better to use this or stick with a fresh installation into /usr/local/mailman?

One final related issue:  this system has a greater need for security than the last one.  Is it simple to administer the web side of mailman using https so that user login is ecrypted?  Is there much needed for apache to be able to do this?

As ever, many thanks in advance for any advice.  The speed, knowledge and helpfulness of people on this list when I last had occasion to be here was just great!

With thanks,

Jon