[Mailman-Users] MTA only for Mailman

Ivan Fetch ifetch at du.edu
Thu Jul 27 18:58:04 CEST 2006

Hello,

    I'd like to have an MTA who's only purpose is to accept SMTP
connections for Mailman mailing lists and spawn the appropriate Mailman
binary.  This MTA will be fed emails from our Sun Internet Mail Server
(IMS) 5.2 cluster.

    We are moving away from having IMS 5.2 pipe to a wrapper, which intern
spawns the proper Mailman binary, because of an issue with patching
breaking the IMS pipe channel (omitting the longer story behind this).
The thought now is that IMS will deliver mail destined for a mailing list
to another "mailhost" which is running this MTA which will spawn to
Mailman.  The "Mailman MTA" is just another Ip on the same nodes -
although it is introducing an extra hop in delivery to mailing lists, it
factors out the Sun / IMS issue we find outself stuck in...

    Is anyone using a light weight MTA to just hand emails off to Mailman
and deny anything else?

    I'm looking at Sun Sendmail (I know, it's definitely not light weight)
to do this, simply because it's already on the boxes in question - I'm
still sorting out how to get Sendmail to deliver to aliases, but not local
accounts.

Thanks for any feedback on MTAs, or a more sensable way to accomplish
this.

- Ivan Fetch.