[Mailman-Users] Stop Already Subscribed Message

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 28 01:11:10 CEST 2006

Ki Song wrote:

>I recently installed mailman.
>
>How do I stop mailman from sending a confirmation e-mail if the e-mail
>address is already subscribed to the list?
>
>Right now, a message is sent stating that the e-mail address is already
>subscribed.

First, this only happens when the subscribe attempt is from the web. If
it is by email, the email command results just say you are already
subscribed.

That said, Mailman's behavior when an attempt is made to subscribe a
member depends on the setting of Privacy options...->Subscription
rules->private_roster.

If the roster can be viewed by anyone, the web subscribe interface will
simply report that you are already a member.

If however, the roster can be viewed only by list members or the admin,
we do not report that you are already a member because this may be an
attempt by a third party to determine if you are a member, and we
notify the member to alert the member that someone may be 'probing'
for her list membership.

So the answer to your question is make the list roster viewable by
anyone. If you don't want to do that (because of potential spam
harvesting or other reasons), you'll have to hack the code in
Mailman/Cgi/Subscribe.py.