[Mailman-Users] Stop Already Subscribed Message

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 28 16:34:30 CEST 2006

Ki Song wrote:

>May I should have clarified: This is an announce-only list where we are
>sending out monthly newsletters to our customers. Therefore, they have no
>idea that there is a "webpage" that allows them to setup their account or to
>modify their subscription settings. Basically, they have no idea that it is
>mailman that they are using.
>I just setup an html form that automatically sends an e-mail to the
>list-subscribe at domain.com e-mail address to subscribe and sends an e-mail to
>They have no interaction with the default mailman web interface.

And email commands send an email response to the 'sender'. So anyone
who attempts to subscribe or unsubscribe via your web page gets some
kind of email reply. Further, in the case of an unsubscribe (and maybe
subscribe depending on list settings), they get a 'confirm' email that
requires further action.

In the case of someone who is already a member, the email response says
that.

If you want to change this behavior, you can

1) modify Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py and/or the appropriate
Mailman/Commands/cmd-* scripts to do what you want, but you may need
to do this in a list specific way if you have other lists, or

2) change your web page to post to your own CGI or to run the
bin/add_members and bin/remove_members commands, although the latter
will have permission problems unless you make the command files SETGID
which you may not want depending on who has shell access to the
server. To avoid this, you can access the commands through a SETGID
wrapper.