[Mailman-Users] hit a bug problem solved

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jul 29 01:05:32 CEST 2006

Sally K Scheer wrote:

>The problem has been solved. Tech support discovered the solution on a
>cpanel discussion list. Here's the solution that worked:

Which is probably a better place to be in the first place. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.

>"I found that the issue was an empty request.pck file in the list's
>directory:
>
>/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/<listname>
>
>I found that if you remove the request.pck file it is recreated when you log
>back in.

This is normal.

>I am not exactly sure if this is a good solution or not, I'm not real sure
>what the request.pck file does, but it is never very big (usually around 24
>bytes).

request.pck contains information about the outstanding moderator
requests for the list. 24 bytes is 'empty' - it contains one 'version'
record.

>I only had this issue on a couple of lists, and removing the 0 byte
>request.pck file for those lists seemed to fix the issue and I am not aware
>of any further issues that came about because the file was deleted and
>recreated. However, somebody else who is more aware of Mailman's inner
>workings may know whether or not removing this file is a good or bad idea."

If it is 0 bytes, removing it is probably a good idea.

>While this solved the problem, it doesn't explain why it happened really. I
>wouldn't mind hearing something about that from the real experts.

I'm afraid this is a cPanel question. I've never heard of the standard
Mailman distribution creating a 0 length request.pck. Prior to Mailman
2.1.5, the file was a Python marshal named request.db, and there was
an issue when migrating from pre-2.1.5 to 2.1.5 in that there was no
request.pck and cron/checkdbs would mail the list admin/moderator a
daily reminder about "-1 moderator requests" but simply going to the
admindb page would create the request.pck and fix it. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.038.htp>.

The '-1 requests' issue was fixed in our distribution in 2.1.6.