[Mailman-Users] Added email address to "posters" in list config, but user's email must be approved each time, why?

Kenneth A. Wolcott kwolcott at cloudshield.com
Fri Jun 2 21:59:16 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Kenneth A. Wolcott wrote:
>
>>  I added a user's email address to the "posters" variable in the
>> specific list config file, but still the user's email must be approved
>> each time.
>>

> Did you add the address to 'posters' via the web admin interface or
> some other method that actually updated the lists/<listname>/config.db
> file?

  No.  I modified the config file directly.  I hadn't looked in the
Private section from the web interface previously.  I recently started
using the master password since no one could remember what the regular
mailman admin password was.  Prior to using the master password, I
didn't have access to the web interface and I was trying to do
everything as root from the command line.  I just now added the email
address via the web interface in the Private section.

>>  Why is this?  Do I need to shutdown and restart Mailman for the config
>> changes to take effect?
>>

> You shouldn't need to do this for list settings as they are loaded from
> the config.db each time the list is accessed.

Cool.

>>  I then subscribed the user.  Still had to manually approve email
>> messages.  I then unsubscribed the user.
>>

> This indicates the From: or Sender: header of the post as received from
> the user has an address which is (perhaps subtly) different from the
> address you are subscribing.

I think that the modification of the poster field via the web interface
will solve the problem.  I'll find out the next time the email (once
daily) gets generated whether or not it gets posted automatically or
not.  If this doesn't work then I'll look into the (subtle) differences
in the email headers.

Thanks so much for your reply,
Ken Wolcott
kwolcott at cloudshield.com