[Mailman-Users] 24 h delays in e-mails distribution.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 30 01:10:02 CEST 2006

Andy  wrote:

>There is a problem with extremely slow e-mails distribution over discussion
>lists. Mails are delayed from about 12 to 24 hours (no matter what activity on
>the lists, even when list is almost not active at all the delay is still that
>big).
>The problem with slow mails distribution concerns not only mails
>distributed to subscribers, but also administrative mails send by
>mailman (for example as reply to commands sent to
>request-listname at domain.name).
>However, e-mails appear quickly (virtually no delay) in the archive, but I
>repeat that their distribution to list members is delayed by many hours, and
>some e-mails even go astray.

>From your description, I am guessing that you are doing some time
consuming validation on SMTP transactions in your outgoing MTA and
OutgoingRunner is hopelessly backlogged. If this is the case, it
should be obvious from a detailed look at Mailman's 'smtp' log. If
you're seeing SMTP for hundreds of recipients taking more than a few
seconds and the difference between the timestamps of adjacent entries
equal to the duration of the first entry, this is your problem.

For starters, don't do DNS validation of RCPT commands in the MTA. Then
look at the tuning tips for your MTA in section 6 of the FAQ
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>.