[Mailman-Users] Postfix + Virtual Domains + MySQL + Mailman

Adam Mattina amattina at layer8group.com
Fri Mar 3 18:40:08 CET 2006

Hello,

I am having trouble getting mail delivered to my lists.

Setup

Server name (for instance) is host.domain.com which will be hosting two
virtual domains.  There will be no local user accounts other than root
and some other users that won't need mail (ftp user, etc).  Therefore
all accounts will be virtual. The problem seems to be that when I add a
list, the server tries to match the lookup with a local account instead
of a virtual one.  All virtual mail is working and I can add virtual
users via mysql blah blah and that all works. Caveat: If I setup a new
account in mysql (list1) and then setup the list in mailman (list1),
mail is delivered to the virtual mailbox instead of any list.

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot...

1.	Try to use postmap to make sure the address is getting
translated correctly

a.	I perform "postconf -q listname at address.com
/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman"
b.	Which returns: listname
c.	This is where I think the problem is because it should return
listname at address.com  What happens when I try to send mail to this
address is that postfix trys to send it to a local account which
obviously does not exist.

2.	Tried to mail from the console to a list I created which will
bounce mail telling me the user is unknown.

a.	Feb 27 09:51:14 excellence postfix/pipe[2449]: EBBDF10BC329:
to=undergrad at excellence.ritphipsi.org orig_to=undergrad at ritphipsi.org,
relay=maildrop, delay=1, status=bounced (user unknown. Command output:
Invalid user specified. )

3.	I have been playing around with hostnames and url configs in the
postfix and mailman files but it doesn't seem to be working but the mail
keeps on going local.
4.	Specs: Gentoo 2.6 / Mailman 2.1.7 / Postfix 2.2.5 / Courier IMAP
4.0.1

Here are the relevant parts from my confs...

mm_cfg.py

----

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'ritphipsi.org'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mailman.ritphipsi.org'

MTA = "Postfix"
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['ritphipsi.org', 'ritdodgeball.org']
add_virtualhost('mailman.ritdodgeball.org', 'ritdodgeball.org')

/etc/postfix/main.cf

---

myhostname = excellence.ritphipsi.org
mydomain = ritphipsi.org

virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-alias-maps.cf,
hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

owner_request_special = no

Thanks,

Adam Mattina
Networking & Systems Support