[Mailman-Users] Bounce processing doesn't work

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 3 20:36:08 CET 2006

Andre Tann wrote:

>> Since you already have enabled full personalization for the list,
>> you can at no extra cost set
>>
>> VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES =3D Yes
>>
>> in mm_cfg.py to enhance bounce recognition.
>
>I have already thought about this. But I was not sure if this might
>be a problem to my postfix MTA. I have no idea if my postfix can
>handle these address types.

Just have an outside mail sent to an inside address of the form
user+xxx=abc.def at example.com and see if it arrives.

If you want me to send a test mail, mail me off list with the address
to send it to.

>OK, I attach one bounce here, Maybe you can see what mailman doesn'tlike about it. For me it is very clear that it is the
>severin.xxx at t-online.de address which is bouncing.

That's because you are a lot smarter than the code :-)

Are all the unrecognized bounces from kundenserver.de? Do they all look
like this one did in terms of this part?

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. The following addresses failed:

  <severin.XXX at t-online.de>

SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:
host mailin02.sul.t-online.de[194.25.134.9]:
550 user unknown

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

I have updated Mailman/Bouncers/SimpleMatch.py to recognize the above
by looking for '<xxx at xxx>' occurring after 'A message that you sent
could not be delivered' and before '^--- The header of the original'.

If there are other unrecognized bounces with a different pattern, I
will include those if you send them.

There have been other changes since 2.1.7. You can get the latest
versions at
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mailman/mailman/Mailman/Bouncers/>.
The ones you might want are

DSN.py        CVS rev. 2.7.2.4 or 2.12
Qmail.py               2.4.2.2 or 2.6
SMTP32.py              2.5.2.3 or 2.8
SimpleMatch.py         2.10.2.6 or 2.16

The latest SimpleMatch is the one that gets the above bounce. There is
a lag in updating the web CVS, so it may not be there yet.

Do not get the updated BouncerAPI.py (2.14.2.2 or 2.16) unless you also
get the updated Mailman/Queue/BounceRunner.py (2.27.2.8 or 2.33). The
changes to these two modules have to do with ignoring a 'delayed'
notification rather than treating it as unrecognized.