[Mailman-Users] Importing Archives Not Working

Karl Zander kwz-mm at commpartners.com
Sat Mar 4 00:48:43 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:39:35 -0800
  Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Karl Zander wrote:
>>
>>We have messages in mbox format that we want to import.
>>
>>As per 5.1 from the FAQ, we used
>>
>>  bin/arch <list>
>>archives/private/<list>.mbox/<list>.mbox
>>
>>where <list> is our list name.  We did create the list
>>before  attempting to import.
>>

>>Running arch gives this,
>>
>>Pickling archive state into
>>/data/mailman/archives/private/our-list/pipermail.pck
>>
>>then seems to return without any errors or other
>>messages.
>
> That should be the final message from bin/arch. If there
>are no
> messages at all preceding that, then either there are no
>messages in
> archives/private/<list>.mbox/<list>.mbox or it is not in
>the expected
> format.

I will have to look carefully at that mbox format.  There
are definately messages in it.  Thunderbird reads it OK,
but maybe Thunderbird is more forgiving of mbox
formatting.  The messages orginated in Lyris ListManger.
 They have a script to export to mbox format.

New messages sent to the list get appended to the end of
the mbox file OK and do display in the archive.

--Karl