[Mailman-Users] Importing Archives Not Working

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Mar 4 02:43:15 CET 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 7:40 PM -0500 2006-03-03, Karl Zander wrote:
>>  So I have to figure out how to change those date formats.
>>   Anyone know of scripts/tools to manipulate these date
>>  formats?
>	See FAQ 3.36.

The method in the FAQ is much more complete than the following, but it
is also more cumbersome if you don't already have formail and procmail

For a one time Quick and dirty to convert:

   From user at example.com Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:02:08 -0500

   From user at example.com Thu Dec  1 15:02:08 2005

You can try the following:

python script.py <old_mbox >new_mbox

where script.py is between the dashed lines
import sys
import time

for line in sys.stdin.readlines():
    if line.startswith('From '):
        fields = line.split()
        date = ' '.join(fields[2:7])
            t = time.strptime(date, '%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S')
            newtime = time.asctime(t)
            line = ' '.join(fields[0:2] + [newtime] + ['\n'])
        except ValueError:

(I should add this to the FAQ)