[Mailman-Users] Need help on new mailing list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 7 20:14:16 CET 2006

Kim Moodley wrote:

>How do I start creating a mailing list?

bin/newlist

or something like

<http://www.example.com/mailman/create>

>I have a mailing list and is it possible to duplicate the mailing list
>and put somebody else as the administrator of the duplicated mailing
>list.

It depends what you mean by 'duplicate'. If you mean duplicate
everything including the list name and posting address, then the
answer is no. If you mean create a list with a different name but the
same configuration and membership, then yes. How you would do this
depends on the kind of access you have to the mailman installation.

You might be able to do it by copying the lists/<listname>/config.pck
file to lists/<newname>/config.pck and then changing the 'real_name'
attribute, or you may be able to do it with tools such as
bin/config_list, bin/list_members and bin/add_members, or you may need
to create and configure the list manually via the web and use the
admin mass subscribe feature to add the members.