[Mailman-Users] Misdirected probe messages?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 8 16:14:21 CET 2006

James Davis wrote:

>First time I've run into trouble with mailman after running several
>lists using it. I added a new list to my install yesterday which is an
>order of magnitude larger than any I've run before with 3,600 users. I
>set the list up as I would normally, adding the following aliases to my
>exim virtual hosts setup.

If you set up Exim as suggested in
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.019.htp>
and the references it points to, you won't need to bother with aliases
at all for Mailman, and you won't have this problem.

>Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Exim is not recognizing that addresses of the form
local_part+suffix at ... should be delivered as if +suffix is not there.

In your case, using aliases, I *think* your

systemalias:

router needs the following:

local_part_suffix = +*
local_part_suffix_optional

either that or you need aliases like

wil-mailing-bounces+*: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-confirm+*: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
wil-mailing"

but it is much better to set up a router and transport for mailman as
discussed in the material referenced in the FAQ or at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node16.html>.