[Mailman-Users] 1 email for multiple email-list recipients on same server?

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 16:58:08 CET 2006

On 3/9/06, Matt England <mengland at mengland.net> wrote:
> Mailman has the capability via ("Avoid duplicate copies of messages?") to
> determine when email is being sent to an external user that's on its
> subscription list; why not use the same/similar mechanism to check the
> duplications on other subscription lists?
I think the problem is that a given mailman list doesn't have any
concept that there might be other lists in the same mailman instance.
The only way it does what you describe is, essentially, by looking at
the 'CC' in the message and dropping any of those addresses from the
list of addresses it eventually sends to.

Sending to multiple lists, the message is split off at the MTA level;
mailman gets one copy of the message to each of its aliases for the
lists (or however your setup is done).

> Also, if the Mailman development community does not want to support this
> feature based upon some policy or principal, I suppose there's little that
> can be done.  FWIW, I think this would be a useful feature for Mailman, but
> that's just my perspective.
Sorry if I gave the impression otherwise, but I am not authoritative.
Someone else may know better than I, or someone else may decide that
this is the best thing since sliced bread and is working on a patch
for it right now..

--
- Patrick Bogen