[Mailman-Users] Approving large messages results in MemoryError

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Mar 19 20:06:58 CET 2006

Peter Veerman wrote:

>I'm Running mailman 2.1.7 on gentoo.
>
>When i want to approve a message which needs for some reason my approval
>(e.g. from a wrong adress or sent BCC) i "hit a bug". It seems that it does
>not give any problems when the message to be approved is very small.... But
>when an attachment is included mailman hits a bug.

How big are these attachments?

<snip>
>admin(22759):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 581, in
>readMessage
>admin(22759):     msg = cPickle.load(fp)
>admin(22759): MemoryError

The Python process run via cgi from the web server has run out of
memory in attempting to retrieve the message from the held message
pickle where it's stored. This is a file in Mailman's 'data' directory
named heldmsg-listname-nnn.pck (where listname is the name of the list
and nnn is a sequence number). How big is this file? can you
successfully dump it with bin/dumpdb? Does your OS or web server
somehow limit the size of cgi programs?