[Mailman-Users] Moving of website

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 21 02:57:12 CET 2006

Tom Wills wrote:

>I want to move my site to a different host. However, I don't see how I can
>move the mailman folders from one host to another. When I backup my files
>from the host, I see the mailman folders. But for me to upload them, I can't
>
>drill down far enough on the new host to ftp them over. Is there a way to
>import all my archives from one host to another???

So what you are asking is if you don't have sufficient access to the
new host to put your old archives there, is there a way around it?

You only have to move the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox
file and run "bin/arch --wipe listname" to rebuild the archives for
each list. If you don't have sufficient access to the new host to do
this, can you get one of the admins there to do it for you?

If not, the only alternative that I know is to create the list on the
new host without any members and then send each archived post one at a
time to the new list to build an archive, and this wouldn't do a very
good job of preserving things like dates and senders. I'd go back to
the previous paragraph.