[Mailman-Users] upgrading Mailman 2.1.5 to 2.1.7 FC3

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 21 03:28:00 CET 2006

pal at hkskole.no wrote:

>I have installed Mailman 2.1.5 on a Fedora core 3 box. I installed from
>RPM. Tha last version for FC3 is 2.1.5, but I'd like to upgrade to 2.1.7.
>Is there an easy way to do this? Anyone who have done this successfully?

John Dennis from Red Hat often has things to say about Red Hat issues,
but he doesn't seem to be active on the list right now.

First, I'd wait for 2.1.8. It will be out soon and has several bug
fixes.

Second, upgrading from source is easy. It's just a matter of getting
the configure options right and running 'configure' with those options
and 'make install'. You want to stop Mailman and probably your MTA and
web server during 'make install' - read the UPGRADING document in the
distribution. Also, you can look at the installation manual in the
distribution in the admin/www/ directory or on line at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/index.html>. For an upgrade,
you're mostly concerned with section 3, as the rest of the steps are
already done.

The tricky part is Red Hat in an effort to be standards compliant has
split things up into directories in ways that I *think* involve more
than can be handled with just the

--prefix,
--exec-prefix and
--with-var-prefix

options. The good news, is I *think* you can probably set these three
appropriately so that things will work.

There is at least one other tricky thing in that I think Red Hat has
patched mailmanctl to support a 'status' option that one of their
scripts uses. See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-May/044898.html>
and
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1208685&group_id=103&atid=300103>.

You will probably want to run configure and then look at the configured
Defaults.py and diff it with the 2.1.5 installed one to get an idea if
any configure options need to be changed. You can run configure any
number of times without affecting your 2.1.5 installation which will
only be changed when you finally run 'make install'.