[Mailman-Users] No mail going out to list members

Michael Rainey rmraineypostmaster at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 21 03:27:16 CET 2006

on 3/20/06 6:46 PM, Mark Sapiro at msapiro at value.net wrote:

> Michael Rainey wrote:
>>
>> Mailman 2.1.4
>>
>> I have looked at 3.14. Troubleshooting: No mail going out to lists members
>> but most if it I do not understand, sorry.
>>
>> I have two lists,
>> Ist list  is not moderated, all working OK
>> 2nd list is one way announcement, no mail going out except notifications
>> (subscribe, unsubscribe, bounces) which are OK
>

> So what's with 'bounces' if no posts are going out, what's getting
> returned to the list-bounces address, or do you mean attempted posts
> being rejected (bounced back to the sender)?
Actually all from:
Unsubscribed notices (When admin unsubscribe them)
Subscribe confirmations (to new subscriber and confirm to admin

Attempted posts are not bounced as I had set "discard"
I was going to set to hold and try again but have not yet done so.

>> To attempt to make up for my lack of knowledge re FAQ 3.14
>>
>> I have looked in my mail log
>>
>> For 1st list which is OK  for successful use this date I find:
>> sendmail[3924]: k2L070dX003912: to="|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post
>> MyListName", ctladdr=<My1stListName at Domain.name> (8/0), delay=00:00:01,
>> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=40321, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
>>

>> For 2nd list which is not OK I find lots of My2ndListName bounces but
>> nothing showing sendmail to My2ndListName as above.
>

> So sendmail is bouncing posts back as undeliverable? do you have
> sendmail aliases for the various My2ndListName addresses as in item 2)
> of the FAQ?
Don't think that is quite right, example is

>> I am unsuccessful with 2nd list regardless of whether I use password or mod
>> flag off for myself.
>
> What happens to your post attempt? Does it evaporate? Is it returned to
> you? If returned, what does the return say?
Evaporating

However on closer look at mail log I find for malfunctioning list:
sendmail[1824]: k2KKr0dL001820: to="|/var/mailman/mail/mailman request
My2ndListName", ctladdr=<My2ndListName-request at Domain.name> (8/0),
delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=32372, dsn=2.0.0,
stat=Sent

WHERE <<My2ndListName-request at Domain.name> COULD BE CULPRIT AS SHOULD IT NOT
BE <My2ndListNamet at Domain.name> WITHOUT "-REQUEST"?

If that is it, where does <My2ndListName-request at Domain.name> reside that I
might correct it?

Am I even close?

Thanks,

Michel Rainey