[Mailman-Users] Continuing problem

Dave Filchak dfilchak at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 21 06:23:43 CET 2006

OK .. I am having a hell of a time trying to get this working so would
very much appreciate a helping hand from someone with more experience
with Mailman than I.

Here is what I want to happen:

I want to have a one-way list (Newsletter). I have set this up so that
everyone is moderated and I have three email address in the moderators
and admin slots. All of these users are members of the list. I want to
be able to send an email from one of the admin or moderator users to
listname at clientdomain.com. clientdomain.com is not the same domain as
the servers but it is a domain we host web and mail for.

Here is what I have so far:

The list is set up on the secondary mail server. The list set up went
without a hitch and Mailman emailed me the following aliases to add to
the aliases file, which I did and ran newaliases.

turningpoints:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
turningpoints"
turningpoints-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin
turningpoints"
turningpoints-bounces:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
turningpoints"
turningpoints-confirm:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
turningpoints"
turningpoints-join:         "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join
turningpoints"
turningpoints-leave:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave
turningpoints"
turningpoints-owner:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner
turningpoints"
turningpoints-request:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request
turningpoints"
turningpoints-subscribe:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
turningpoints"
turningpoints-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman
unsubscribe turningpoints"

I also added to the alias file on the main mail server, the following:

[...]

so that when sending to the clients domain, the main server did not
reject the user as unknown.

No matter what I do, when I send an email to either
turningpoints at secondarymailserver.net or turningpoints at clientdomain.net,
I receive a bounce message saying that only admins are allowed to post
to the list, of which the email I sent the original post from is a
member. I have even tried removing the moderated bit for that particular
email address with the same result.

What the hell am I missing??

TIA
Dave