[Mailman-Users] Hostname confusion

MacShane, Tracy Tracy.Macshane at AirservicesAustralia.com
Fri Mar 24 01:06:16 CET 2006

I have a new Postfix 2.2 server and am trying to integrate Mailman 2.1
with it. The Mailman package is that provided by RedHat, and I followed
their config instructions during installation. I'm also using the
postfix-to-mailman.py (2.1) script to make use of virtual domains. I'm
pretty much a n00b when it comes to *nix admin, although my Postfix
server appears to be working happily.

Now we come to the issue. My mail server's FQDN is server.domain.gov.au.
I want to deliver mail to mailman at lists.altdomain.com.
lists.altdomain.com does not exist as a DNS alias. I modified all the
main.cf, transport and master.cf files for Postfix as specified in the
script (eg. the transport file contains the line "lists.altdomain.com
mailman:", and so on). When I try to send mail to my test mailman
mailing list, the mail gets routed out to the MX server that is
currently primary for the altdomain.com domain (and rejected there,
since "mailman at lists.altdomain.com" doesn't exist on that server).

I think the issue is with the mm_cfg.py configuration. At present, I
have the standard settings:

DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = fqdn
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = fqdn

Do I need to change DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST to server.altdomain.com (not
server.domain.gov.au), and have a corresponding alias entry in DNS? We
absolutely cannot "move" the server to the other domain. Can I "cheat"
and put an entry in the local hosts file instead? This server is
currently in place for testing purposes only.

Thanks!