[Mailman-Users] FAQ 6.9 on Debian Sarge

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Mar 26 20:28:06 CEST 2006

Manlio Perillo wrote:

>But if the files are not group writeable, how can the CGI script modify
>them?

Yes, they need to be group writable, but they shouldn't need to be
world writable.

The question is what should the FAQ say (moot at the moment, because
the FAQ apparently can't be updated, but I trust that will be fixed)?

I don't understand the need for the 'adduser' you mentioned in your
first post. Perhaps you can clarify what the permissions, etc. are in
the Debian package as shipped, and what is required so we can get the
FAQ right. Is it sufficient to

chmod 0660 data/aliases.db
chmod 0660 data/virtual-mailman.db

and if so, why would Steinmetz <admin at destination-linux.org> say

 On Debian Sarge mailman:mailman does not exist
 The only way I found was to chmod 0666 data/aliases*

(from
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=log&file=faq06.009.htp>)?