[Mailman-Users] FAQ 6.9 on Debian Sarge

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sun Mar 26 21:17:52 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro ha scritto:
> Manlio Perillo wrote:
>> But if the files are not group writeable, how can the CGI script modify
>> them?
>

> Yes, they need to be group writable, but they shouldn't need to be
> world writable.

Ok.
I just notice that there exist a bug report:

On Woody the alias file gets updates, the problem is with virtual-mailman!

I have submitted a new bug report.

> The question is what should the FAQ say (moot at the moment, because
> the FAQ apparently can't be updated, but I trust that will be fixed)?
>
> I don't understand the need for the 'adduser' you mentioned in your
> first post.

In Debian Sarge Apache2 runs under www-data user and group privileges
(and so the CGI cgi-bin/create).

This means that, in order for the script to modify the alias* files,
www-data should be in the list group.
Or, as written in the FAQ, these files have to be world writeable.

> Perhaps you can clarify what the permissions, etc. are in
> the Debian package as shipped, and what is required so we can get the
> FAQ right. Is it sufficient to
>
> chmod 0660 data/aliases.db
> chmod 0660 data/virtual-mailman.db

Yes.

> and if so, why would Steinmetz <admin at destination-linux.org> say
>
>  On Debian Sarge mailman:mailman does not exist
>  The only way I found was to chmod 0666 data/aliases*

The FAQ say:
chmod 0666 data/aliases*
(as mailman:mailman does not exist - permissions are for root:list)

Indeed permissions are root:list.
But I don't understand why to allow them to be world writeable.

P.S.
I'm not a Unix expert!

Regards  Manlio Perillo