[Mailman-Users] UnicodeError in admindb interface

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 31 20:51:50 CEST 2006

ts North wrote:

>I run several mailing lists under Mailman 2.1.6.   Recently 
> one of my mailing lists received 2 spam messages, I was able
> to delete one of them using the moderator admindb interface, but
> when I tried to delete the second message, I got the "hit a bug"
> page (traceback is listed below).
> At that point I: ran check_db and check_perms, restarted the daemon,
> cleared out the locks.  No luck.

Restarting mailman shouldn't have been required. If you 'cleared locks'
you may now have multiple instances of the same qrunners running. This
needs to be addressed - see

> I found the heldmsg in data/ and deleted the message manually,
> which seems to have made matters worse.  Now when I access the 
> admindb web page for the mailing list, it throws the error right away before displaying the admindb page (same traceback as before).  
> I suspect I may have not deleted everything I need to delete.

That's right. You also need to delete the lists/listname/request.pck
that contains the request and points to the now non-existent heldmsg

> I have
> considered upgrading to 2.1.7, but thought I should resolve this issue
> first.

I'm not sure if the underlying issue is fixed in 2.1.7 or not. At this
point, I would advise going to 2.1.8 (rc1 should be released this

Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list