[Mailman-Users] FC5 genaliases problem

Michael McAndrew michaelmcandrew at gmail.com
Fri May 5 15:51:29 CEST 2006

Hi there,

I'm configuring mailman from a clean standard FC5 installation using
Postfix as the MTA.

I have checked that the POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD and  POSTFIX_MAP_CMD
variables are set correctly in Defaults.py.  They are ...
POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'

But as soon as I add the line ...
MTA = 'Postfix'
... to my mm_cfg.py and run bin/genaliases, I get the following error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/genaliases", line 116, in ?
    main()
  File "bin/genaliases", line 102, in main
    MTA.create(None, nolock=True, quiet=quiet)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
    _update_maps()
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in _update_maps
    raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /etc/mailman/aliases
(status: 1, Operation not permitted)

An aliases file is created in /etc/mailman but no aliases.db file is created.

Any ideas on how I can get past this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Michael