[Mailman-Users] stat deferred and connection reset

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon May 8 18:40:45 CEST 2006

    Vikram> May 7 05:07:16 ip-68-178-242-231 sendmail[12991]:
    Vikram> k474oTaH027069: to=<Several Emails>, delay=06:48:40,
    Vikram> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=15687906,
    Vikram> relay=someserver.net, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection
    Vikram> reset by someserver.net

    Vikram> The last two sections bother me. Are the messages only
    Vikram> deferred for a little time and will be resent?

Yes.  Typical delay is something like 4 hours, IIRC.

    Vikram> Why is the connection reset by someserver.net?

You'll have to ask someserver.net.  Many hosting services will limit
the amount of mail you can send in a given time period.  It is
possible to limit by bandwidth used, number of messages submitted, or
number of addresses posted to.  I would imagine that 30,000 members
would trigger on either of bandwidth or number of addresses for
typical limits.

There are other potential problems, but server policy is the place to
start looking.  And many of the other problems will require talking to
someserver.net, anyway.

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.051.htp
may be relevant.  Also the thread at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-July/038195.html
referenced in that FAQ.

    Vikram> Do I need to resend the message?

No, that will probably make things worse, and definitely not until
you've resolved the problem.