[Mailman-Users] mailman (+vexim +exim) -- web interface uses absolute urls... to elsewhere

will trillich will at serensoft.com
Tue May 9 05:16:34 CEST 2006

On 5/8/06, Patrick Bogen <pdbogen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/7/06, will trillich <will at serensoft.com> wrote:
> > any ideas?
>
> Check your setting in DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN. See FAQ 4.29:
>
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp

thanks for the pointer. turns out, ours is set exactly right. it's
perfectly fine.

even so, check out Mailman/MailList.py, inside InitVars (and mentioned in
/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py):

        self.web_page_url = (
            mm_cfg.DEFAULT_URL or
            mm_cfg.DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN % mm_cfg.DEFAULT_URL_HOST)

since DEFAULT_URL_HOST didn't appear to be used in the final analysis,
we tried DEFAULT_URL instead (with the short-circuit approach, it
would override). alas, no luck.

all links from <site>/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/<list> are absolute links,
pointing to
another virtual host we've got on this server. there's GOT to be a way
to make them
relative -- we don't want to submit POST forms via insecure http (to
the wrong site)
from our secure https page!

e.g. site for mail is 'mail.myexample.not'. that's where the MX points for smtp,
and that's where webmail will be hosted for user pick-up (or imaps or pop3s).
to administer this puppy, we've got 'emailadmin.myexample.not' which has vexim
and mailman running on it. but ALL links on the admin pages -- including form
actions -- hop from 'https://emailadmin.myexample.not' to
'http://mail.myexample.not'.
it's maddening!

--
will trillich
"Their is five errers in this sentance."