[Mailman-Users] Problem with the forward slash in digestannouncements

campbell at cnpapers.com campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri May 12 12:09:53 CEST 2006

Quoting Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>:

> Steve Campbell wrote:
>
> >Looks like in the last digest sent, and probably the original also, that a
> >Subject line of "Rpms for RHEL/Centos 4?" gets chopped to "Centos 4" in the
>
> >attachment names due to the forward slash.
>

> If I understand you correctly, you received a MIME format digest as a
> multipart/mixed message consisting of a few text/plain sub-parts as
> well as a multipart/digest sub-part in turn consisting of some
> message/rfc822 sub-parts, each of which is one list message, and your
> MUA (MS Outlook Express?) shows you the text/plain parts and a bunch
> of attachments, each of which is one of the messages and has a name
> which is normally the subject of the message, but in the case of the
> message with subject "Rpms for RHEL/Centos 4?", was just "Centos 4?".
>
> This naming of the attachments is strictly a function of your MUA.
> There is no actual Content-Disposition: header with a filename=
> parameter nor is there a name= parameter in the Content-Type: header
> of these message parts. Your MUA either is Outlook Express or does
> what it does which is to give the "attachment" a name which is that
> portion of the Subject: to the right of the rightmost slash.
> Thunderbird for example will give the same "attachment" a name equal
> to the Subject: whether or not it contains slashes.
>
> Mailman has nothing to do with this.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

I've been browsing the archives lately just as a learning tool, and I'm just
finding out that MUAs play such a large part of what I see here in all of email.
OE is what I use at work, Thunderbird at home, so that explains the problem I
saw. Did Microsoft get much of anything right? It just never occurred to me that
it may be the MUA, though, this time.

Thanks so much.

Steve