[Mailman-Users] Mailman and forwarded emails

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat May 13 03:19:44 CEST 2006

Patrick Bogen wrote:

>On 5/11/06, Adrian <adrian at moohoohoo.com> wrote:
>>  Just so you know:-
>> message -> pirateshipmaillinglist at moohoohoo.com -> gets on to the list AOK
>> message -> maillinglist at pirateship.org.au (set to forward to a standard
>> email address) -> gets on to the email address AOK
>> message -> maillinglist at pirateship.org.au (set to forward to
>> pirateshipmaillinglist at moohoohoo.com) -> does *not* get on to the list and
>> seems to disappear (no error in delivery messages etc)
>> I really think there must be some settings in the mailinglist software to
>> fix this. Hoping you can help.

<snip>

>Here's another question: Is this *forwarding* the message, or
>rewriting the recipient and relaying? (I.e., does the message arrive
>at moohoohoo.com as From: mailinglist at pirateship.org.au, or From:
>original.sender at some.host.com ?)

Good question. Note that if the forwarding is rewriting the sender and
it then appears that the post is from a non-member and Privacy
options...->Sender filters->generic_nonmember_action is Reject or
Discard, you won't see the post on the list.

Also there may be issues with Privacy options...->Recipient
filters->require_explicit_destination, although this would cause the
message to be held for approval, not discarded. You probably want
maillinglist at pirateship.org.au in the Privacy options...->Recipient
filters->acceptable_aliases list.