[Mailman-Users] No mail from list (was: Stupid Newby Setup question)

PC At Last admin at pcatlast.com
Thu May 18 15:23:08 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> PC At Last wrote:
>> It used to work. Then the server died. Then the backup got corrupted by
>> the clutz rebuilding the server. Then we had to start from scratch. Now
>> I have three mailing lists that just won't work - test messages vanish
>> into the ether - no bounce, no notification, no delivery, no nothing.
>>
>> I'm at my wits end, and have invested way too much of my life in this.
>> Can someone point me to a template, or a simple "point by point" how to
>> make this simple configuration work. At this point, I'm happy to nuke
>> everything and start with default settings again...
>
> If you set up a simple, default, test list, does that work. If so, see
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>.
> If not, see
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>

Thanks for the links Mark. They have helped tie down exactly what is (or
isn't as the case may be) going on.

I have deleted all lists, and created a brand new one, making minimal
alterations to default values - (ie. set smtp server name, set
descriptive rejection notice for all moderated posts, and subscribed an
address in each of the four mail servers I have access to - just to
eliminate pop3 or spam filtering issues).

Before I set the "reject moderated posts" flag, I DID get a reply to the
originating address stating "held for moderation". And after accepting
the post in moderation tasks, the post DID go to all four addresses
subscribed.

After I set the "reject moderated posts" flag, I DID NOT get anything at
all from anywhere or to anywhere. Not even the rejected notice I had
added to try and track which part of the system rejected the post. The
test post just vanished into the ether.

Unfortunately, most of the testing suggestions in your second link, I
can't get to, as my mailman install is part of a CPanel hosting package
and I don't have access that far back in the directory tree.

Vital Statistics are as follows...

Mailman version 2.1.7.cp1
Kernel version  2.4.21-40.ELsmp
Apache version  1.3.34 (Unix)
PERL version  	5.8.7
PHP version  	4.4.1
MySQL version  	4.0.25-standard
cPanel Build  	10.8.2-RELEASE 83

I don't know how much of that is useful, or even relevant, but rather
than make a bad call, it was easier to copy and paste the lot.

Until I can get messages passing through, I guess there is no point
trying to customize it for how it's supposed to work. I figure I have a
reasonable handle on that part anyway - just couldn't find what I had
done to kill it first time round - maybe nothing?

Thanks again for help so far. Any further suggestions more than welcome...

Regards,

Glen