[Mailman-Users] PGP keys causing problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 19 19:29:16 CEST 2006

Jeff DeReus wrote:
> It seems that adding the filter_types has one effect.  When the list
> subscribers get a message that has been PGP signed, the signature is
> no longer valid.

I assume here that content filtering is On. There is not much Mailman
can do in these cases. I'm not sure what the specific issue is in this
case, but generally, anything that touches the message body will break
the signature.

> When a patch is submitted (for developers) it is stripped from the
> message that is posted to one list

Do you mean in the archive or in the message sent to subscribers?

> and the entire message with the
> patch is then forwarded to another list (for the actual patches).
>
> When one particular patch was submitted, it seems that the characters
> are being converted to either unicode or ascii.  i.e.
>
> ============================ is now =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> etc, etc, for several more lines. this is in the mbox for the patches
> list.  also there are miscellaneous characters tossed in there (just
> for good measure I suppose :)   )

The transformation of '=' to '=3D' and the addition of other '=' and
'=xx' things is the result of quoted printable encoding of the message.
Prior to Mailman 2.1.7, there were cases where an encoded message body
could be sent by Mailman without being indicated as such or an unencoded
body could be indicated as being encoded. The underlying issue that
caused this was avoided in 2.1.7 and fixed (in the email library) in 2.1.8.

This may be what's going on here, or it may be a case of a properly
identified, encoded message being viewed with an MUA (client) that
doesn't recognize it or a difference in how the poster's MUA encodes the
message affecting the Mailman result.

Regarding the original problem of the message body and attached patch
not being in the archive, I have done some testing with the latest
Scrubber, and it works properly with all the test messages Todd sent me.

I note that the annotation "Skipped content of type multipart/mixed"
will not appear in these cases in Mailman 2.1.6 and up, but the change
that skips issuing that message is not what fixed the problem. I need to
test with older versions of Scrubber to actually identify what the
problem was and what fixed it.