[Mailman-Users] help request: new 1300 member list results in mostly bounces

Nathan nathan at pocketstudios.com
Sat May 20 00:49:19 CEST 2006

Hello.

I'm new to mailman. I've used it to setup an announce-only list for a
friend who has over 1300 addresses. Up to this point, she's been simply
sending to her entire AOL address book (as this user/account is setup
specifically for people who want to receive announcements about her
studio). You can imagine the headaches she has sending that way.

So I setup a mailman list. Her webhost has mailman included with her
account, so I didn't have to install. I sent a few test messages to
just her and a couple of my accounts to make sure they were being
moderated, and that they went out properly once approved before mass
subscribing the other addresses. These messages went out without issue.

So, I mass subscribed the other 1300+, and she sent out the first email
today. If mailman has a way for the administrator to investigate
bounces, I don't know about it, but some time after she'd sent the
message out, she and I still had not received it, so I tried to
investigate. I logged in and looked up our user info and found that
each of us had a "bounce score of 1". From my reading and simple math,
this means that the 1 message sent out resulted in a hard bounce.

To get a sampling of other users, I clicked on "G" for all emails
beginning with g. Of those 30 subscribers, 29 had bounced. Only one
subscriber at the domain nyce.net had a bounce score of 0. The other
domains:
email.com
@hotmail.com
@hotmail.com
@hotmail.com
@comcast.net
@hotmail.com
@eclipse.net
@verizon.net
@comcast.net
@optonline.com
@hotmail.com
@nc.rr.com
@pershing.com
@msn.com
@ureach.com
@yahoo.com
@lycos.com
@gmail.com
@yahoo.com
@comcast.net
@pabla.net
@hotmail.com
@usinter.net
@pcisvision.com
@earthlink.net
@gmail.com
@msn.com
@yahoo.com
@aol.com

Any advice as to why this is happening? I'm assuming the problem is NOT
with mailman itself, but possibly with her webhost (maybe flagged as a
spammer by other hosts?). For what it's worth, one other address to
which the email did get through was my mac.com address. I noticed in my
mac.com web interface that the message showed that it had an
attachment, but there was no evidence of that attachment once I clicked
through to read the mail. She's sending from AOL, and it does appear
that html was included, so maybe the attached file is the html
document?

I am not her usual web person, so don't have a lot of other info, or a
way to take it up directly with the host, however I'm sure I could
speak with him and get whatever info is necessary, but at the moment, I
don't even know what to ask. Since mailman handles the bounces
automatically, I don't even know how to go about figuring out what
caused them.

Also, is there a way to send out a test message to only a few members
of the group? If this were the case, I could try to troubleshoot by
sending a message from my account rather than hers, using plain text,
etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nathan